Thursday, April 7, 2011

Crisis in Japan

If you have been following the news, you have seen that Japan was hit with two more major earthquakes. I keep asking myself, "why is this happening?" As if the previous earthquakes and tsunami were not enough, Japan keeps getting hit with more and more catastrophes. When I reflect back on the beginning of this semester and the creation of my blog, I think about all of my dreams and aspirations. I think of how I was sure that I would be teaching in an international school in Japan. When I tell people that this is still my dream, some of them look at me like I am crazy. Some ask why I would want to go somewhere where there is a heightened risk of natural disasters. Some ask why I would want to go to a country that is plagued by nuclear radiation. Japan is my second home and I have no doubt that I will be back there some day. However, I do admit that I am a little scared. It is hard enough to leave the comfort of your own country, but even more difficult when there are dangers to be faced. I do know that if I could be back there now helping, I would be. Right now, I know that I cannot be in Japan to physically help, but I do know that I can do whatever it takes to help while I am still here.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What would you be feeling right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment